Being Happily Divorced | Leading With Kindness Episode 291, February 24, 2023
According to the American Psychological Association, approximately 40-50% of first marriages end in divorce. The divorce rate for second marriages is even higher, with about 60-67% ending in divorce.
As a child of divorce, I’ve only known them to be bitter and spiteful. My guest, Skye Michiels, is out to change that.
Skye is a dad, award-winning real estate leader, motivational speaker, and host of The 6AMERS Podcast, which provides inspiration and motivation for developing a healthy mindset, setting goals, and achieving happiness.
As a divorced dad of two, Skye is passionate about promoting positive co-parenting and determined to show divorced couples that a better, healthier, and happier experience is possible when a positive co-parenting relationship exists.
We discuss the shame and guilt of the “leaver” in a divorce, the benefits of positive co-parenting, tips to being happily divorced, and bust the myth of staying together for the kids’ sake.
Topics and Questions
- 1:28 – What does it mean to be very happily divorced?
- 2:49 – Is it possible to have a bad marriage and a good divorce?
- 5:01 – Does being happily divorced mean the entire divorce process was smooth and joyous?
- 8:41 – Is staying together for the kids realistic?
- 11:30 – Andy’s experience as a child of divorce.
- 12:06 – Experience of the leaver. What helps deal with the shame?
- 17:35 – Do things like positive co-parenting and conscious uncoupling mean the bitter divorce is a thing of the past?
- 20:19 – How long did it take from saying I’m leaving to being happily divorced?
- 22:57 – What made you know it was time to end the marriage?
- 24:39 – What are some signs you are not in a great co-parenting situation?
- 28:20 – What are some tips for creating a positive co-parenting relationship?
- 30:10 – Would your partner say you are a great ex-husband?
- 31:17 – Does being divorced turn you off from ever being married again?
- 32:24 – What are some of the biggest challenges for divorced men?
- 33:44 – What does leading with kindness mean?
- 36:26 – Tell me about your podcast, The 6AMERS.
- 38:44 – Skye, what’s the best way for people to learn more and connect with you?
“To be a happily divorced person, you must agree on your commonalities. What’s non-negotiable for both of you?”Skye Michiels
Skye Michiels on Instagram — @skyemichiels
The 6AMERS podcast on Instagram — @the6amers
Recommended Book: Conscious Uncoupling: 5 Steps to Living Happily Even After
Book a call with Andy → https://theandygrant.com/talk
Want to help support Real Men Feel? Visit anchor.fm/realmenfeel/support
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Listen on Apple Podcasts.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Spotify
Listen to the podcast on Google Podcast.
Let us know what you think here in the comments, or shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grab the Real Men Feel Guide to Friendship for a list of places you can meet more male friends, and subscribe to the Real Men Feel newsletter.
Leave a Reply