Regular Guy Chat with Ken | Leaning Into Fear Episode 275, October 14, 2022
Men are told it isn’t good to fear things, but you can’t be brave or courageous without first recognizing fear. And I’ve repeatedly found that great things happen when I walk boldly into my fear and do what I’m afraid of.
I put out the call in the private Real Men Feel Facebook group for anyone interested in doing a regular guy chat – that means no agenda, nothing to sell or promote- an average dude with something to share.
I said, “If you are interested but terrified, that’s a great sign to say, Yes!”
My guest for this Regular Guy Chat is husband, father, brother, retired IT professional, and present-day wellness warrior Ken MacKeen. We talk about trauma, shame, selfishness, and the incredible personal growth possible on the other side of fear.
Topics and Questions
- 1:17 – What made you say yes to being on Real Men Feel?
- 1:50 – Are there specific fears about being here, or is it more generalized?
- 2:59 – What was your life like growing up?
- 5:03 – Were you conscious of this trauma as a child?
- 5:43 – At what age did you start drinking?
- 7:15 – Were your siblings treated differently than you?
- 9:00 – Do you want relationships with your family?
- 11:15 – Besides alcohol, how did you deal with the shame?
- 12:17 – What were the messages you got about your emotions growing up?
- 13:00 – How was it being a father?
- 14:40 – Would you have changed anything if you hadn’t received the OUI?
- 16:14 – What man had the biggest impact on you? Tell me about him.
- 17:15 – What are you most proud of?
- 18:18 – Can you take any ownership when your sons are complimented?
- 21:50 – When something triggers you now, what do you think you are angry about?
- 23:08 – What are you looking forward to?
- 24:08 – Is there anything you wish you had learned at a younger age?
- 27:38 – How do you plan to speak up and share more?
Ken shares how childhood abuse and abandonment affected his entire life and what happened when he stopped covering up his feelings with alcohol. Thankfully, he realized that solitude, isolation, and loneliness are not good places to be.
Ken shares his “one asshole at a time” rule too.
Grab yourself a hoodie, mug, or shirt → http://realmenfeel.org/swag
Book a call with Andy → https://theandygrant.com/talk
Grab the Real Men Feel Guide to Friendship for a list of places you can meet more male friends and get on the Real Men Feel weekly newsletter.
Want to help support Real Men Feel? Visit anchor.fm/realmenfeel/support
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Listen on Apple Podcasts.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Spotify
Listen to the podcast on Google Podcast.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments, or shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave a Reply