Panel Discussion on Pharrell and New Masculinity Episode 153, October 22, 2019
The November issue of GQ is their New Masculinity issue; an exploration of the ways that traditional notions of masculinity are being challenged, overturned, and evolved. The feature interview is with Pharrell and that prompted a discussion in the private Real Men Feel Facebook group which resulted in this week’s show.
“… and I think that’s the new masculinity. Having the willingness to just be. Just live and let live.” ~ Pharrell
Five men gather to discuss Pharrell’s interview in GQ magazine focusing on evolving masculinity. We share our reactions to the piece, answer some of the questions Pharrell was asked, and go off on manly tangents as often as possible.
We touch on pop culture, clothing, role models, feminization, and politics – oh my!
Topics and Questions Include:
- (1:36) Al, what about this interview made you share it?
- (3:22) Boysen’s tweet string on undefining masculinity.
- (5:22) Matt’s take from Canada.
- (6:37) What stood out for Anthony from the article.
- (9:30) Was there anything from the interview that you didn’t agree with?
- (14:00) Pharrell’s definition of new masculinity.
- (14:30) Matt’s thoughts on new masculinity.
- (16:52) Is traditional masculinity more about what others think about you?
- (18:43) What is Boysen seeing with men he interacts with?
- (22:07) Are African American men more willing to break masculine molds?
- (23:50) Who were your male role models, growing up?
- (31:41) Pharrell said: “I wish the synonym for American was humane. It’s not currently.” What do you with the synonym for American was, and what do you think it is currently?
- (43:47) Are we in a fight over masculinity?
- (52:00) Have we been duped by femininity?
- (58:47) Can we change the programming of society?
- (1:00:00) Parting thoughts from each man.
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium.
“The ‘new masculinity’ is just to be a human.” ~ Anthony Simeone
Read the interview that prompted our discussion – Pharrell on Evolving Masculinity and Spiritual Warfare.
Check out the GQ survey on masculinity.
Read Boysen’s poem, The New Macho. And the book he mentioned by Gabor Maté, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction.
Check out the prior panel show on Gillette’s Ad Campaign.
Join the private Real Men Feel Facebook Group
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Show your support for Real Men Feel by shopping at realmenfeel.org/swag.
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography by Micaiah Carter
Leave a Reply