Rescuing The Rescuers Episode 107, August 21, 2018
This week Andy Grant is joined by 9/11 first responder, writer, and podcaster, Stephen Kavalkovich, to talk about the immense pressure, and challenges faced by first responders. Stephen holds nothing back while recounting his experiences as a paramedic and drug addict, as well as his recovery and dedication to helping others.
“The greatest way we are going to help humanity is tied to the greatest pain we’ve ever felt.” ~Stephen Kavalkovich
Stephen is one of the most open men we’ve ever had on the show. His is a painful and compelling tale of self-destruction and rebirth that is all too common for first responders, and the rebirth is not guaranteed.
Did you know in the US, we’ve lost more people to opioids than were lost in the Vietnam War?
Topics Covered Include:
- Stephen on mindset, purpose and discovering it.
- Addiction and being a first responder.
- The fall and losing it all.
- The rescuer being rescued by his old partner.
- The problems with identifying with something outside of you.
- What can you do to help an addict in your life?
- What turned it around for you?
- Stigmas, shame, and masculinity.
- The stress when your job is responding to everyone else’s worst day.
- What do you wish you other 1st responders knew that they don’t?
- What are your future goals?
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium or give us a tip.
“When who I am was gone, I didn’t know who I was anyone.” ~Stephen Kavalkovich
What is Rescue The Rescuer Podcast?
Do You Ever Feel Like Everything Is Going Up In Flames? Firefighters, police officers, soldiers, EMS providers, and all first responders are under immense pressure and stress, day in and day out. This can lead to incredible challenges both at work and at home. Stephen Kavalkovich’s mission is to put a spotlight on these problems and help find solutions with the Rescue the Rescuer podcast and blog. He wants to help shred the shame and highlight strategies that work to alleviate and eliminate common stumbling blocks for First Responders like addiction, PTSD, relationship failure, and more.
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to email@example.com.
Help Support Real Men Feel
Digital Tip Jar