Healing the Family Father Wound Episode 98, June 19, 2018
This week on Real Men Feel, Andy Grant is joined by one of the world’s leading experts on men’s issues, Jed Diamond, Ph.D.
Jed has been a licensed psychotherapist for over 40 years and is the author of twelve books including Male Menopause and The Irritable Male Syndrome, his newest book tackles what Jed believes is one problem that surpasses all others in its impact on men, women, and society. That book is My Distant Dad: Healing the Family Father Wound.
“Disconnected males, without a strong sense of inner guidance, can become abusive towards women and destructive towards men.” ~Jed Diamond, Ph.D.
The father wound impacts four critical areas of our lives:
- Our physical health
- Our emotional health
- Our relationship health
- Our social and political health
The effects of growing up without a loving, engaged, father ripple through the generations and contribute to many of the most serious problems we face in our society today including:
- Drug and alcohol abuse
- Depression and suicide
- Teen pregnancy
- Sexual dysfunction, harassment, and addiction
- Unhappy, loveless, sexless, and lifeless marriages
- Crime, conflict, and violence
- Fear and aggression between groups
Topics Covered Include:
- Besides being a man, what got you to focus on men’s issues?
- What is a father wound?
- Can the family father wound by created by a father who is physically absent as well as a father who is emotionally absent?
- Does anyone not have a father wound?
- How doe the father wound impact our lives?
- Does this wound effect only men?
- What do children need from their father?
- What are some of the effects of growing up without a present, loving father?
- Months before the 2016 presidential election, you wrote an article “The Real Reason Donald Trump Will Be Our Next President” can you remind us of those reasons?
- What has been most beneficial in your healing?
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium or give us a tip.
According to the National Center for Fathering, “More than 20 million children live in a home without the physical presence of a father. Millions more have dads who are physically present, but emotionally absent. If it were classified as a disease, fatherlessness would be an epidemic worthy of attention as a national emergency.”
Read Jed’s latest book: My Distant Dad: Healing the Family Father Wound, published by Lasting Impact Press, an imprint of Connection Victory Publishing Company.
Connect with Jed at MenAlive.com
See Jed’s posts on GoodMenProject
Show your support for Real Men Feel by shopping at realmenfeel.org/swag, or visit DigitalTipJar.com/realmenfeel
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Subscribe to the Real Men Feel podcast on iTunes.
Join our private Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/realmenfeel/
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to email@example.com.
Help Support Real Men Feel
Digital Tip Jar
Leave a Reply