Dealing with Smartphone Addiction Episode 127, January 15, 2019
This week Andy Grant is joined by fitness and lifestyle coach, Oliver Cowlishaw, who shares everything that rose up when he confronted his smartphone addiction. Andy discovered Oliver thanks to a video Oliver made about his effort to cut down on his smartphone use and all the underlying shame that he could no longer ignore.
“If I am emotional, if I am vulnerable, if I let my sensitive nature be on display, bad things will happen. The video was a test of that.” ~Oliver Cowlishaw
Everyone makes choices between authentically feeling whatever is going on for them, and not – by ignoring, stuffing, denying, blaming, attacking… there are countless ways to avoid our emotions. What they all come down to is some sort of a distraction. One of the most
What would you be doing if you weren’t looking at your phone? What would you see if you weren’t staring at a screen? What do you feel when you stop reaching for that smartphone?
Topics Covered Include:
- What prompted you to want to cut down your smartphone use?
- What did you notice when you curtailed your use?
- Were those feelings always there?
- What steps did you take to cut down your smartphone usage?
- What is healthy, productive use vs. distraction?
- Do you have a goal for smartphone use?
- Does anything stand out as easier than expected in lessening your phone use?
- Shame makes you more susceptible to smartphone addiction.
- What’s the response to the video been?
- The valley of deception
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium.
“Reaching for the phone was often to avoid a feeling.” ~Oliver Cowlishaw
See Oliver’s original video Confronting My Smartphone Addiction and Toxic Shame.
Connect with Oliver on Facebook.
Find Oliver on Instagram.
Check out more of Oliver on YouTube.
See the 60 Minutes report on Brain Hacking Built into our Smartphones.
Join the private Real Men Feel Facebook Group
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.