Lessons Learned from Near-Death Experiences Episode 214, November 24, 2020
Author, coach, and resiliency expert, Erez Avramov, talks about the life lessons he’s learned from three near-death experiences. Plus, the importance of goals, seeing the gifts in our challenges, and the gap between the medical system and what men really need.
“Resiliency is how we address change and adversity in a way that doesn’t take us down and completely push us into the dark night of the soul.” ~ Erez Avramov
We all go through challenging times and face adversity. Sometimes like in 2020, we go through shared adversity – the same challenge of Covid is hitting the entire planet. Times like these require a tremendous level of adaptability and resiliency from all of us. Erez is a resiliency expert who’s nicknamed “The Man Who Refuses to Die.”
Erez has faced three near-death experiences as well as divorce and a lower leg amputation. Yet, he still focuses on the positive and the possibilities that each challenge offers. He shares his experiences as we talk about the desire men have for control, which is often an illusion.
Rapid change can happen to us all. It isn’t only from near-death experiences. Massive life changes can be triggered by such things as divorce, financial crisis, death of a loved one, end of a relationship, COVID-19, and many other events. There are always amazing lessons in life events like these. Letting go of one thing can allow us to receive so much more.
- (1:49) Tell me about your life before your first near-death experience?
- (3:18) What is resiliency?
- (3:46) How old were you the first time you faced death?
- (6:00) Have you always been so naturally adaptive?
- (8:09) Did the car accident feel like some sort of message from the beginning?
- (11:21) Wanting to get back to normal, when we can get even better than that.
- (14:17) Did your amputation resolve the issues that you hoped it would?
- (17:50) Is it control that brings us comfort, or is it the illusion of control?
- (19:30) Did you ever get caught up in pity and “why me?”
- (25:53) Training for the Dakar Rally, and his 2nd near-death experience.
- (28:40) Why were you risking your life?
- (31:55) Erez’s third near-death experience.
- (37:50) Are three times enough?
- (39:07) Why do we get tested?
- (40:41) Why do some people miss those gifts in adversity?
- (46:26) What are you excited about?
“There is no normal when life changes to such a degree.” ~ Erez Avramov
Grab the Real Men Feel Guide to Friendship for a list of places you can meet more male friends and get on the Real Men Feel weekly newsletter.
Check out Erez’s Facebook group – Operation ALPHA, his 365-day live experiment documenting how to make changes in health, fitness, body composition, confidence, self-esteem, self-belief, and self-worth, business, and relationships.
Need to talk about getting out of your own way? Visit TheAndyGrant.com/talk.
Show your support for Real Men Feel by shopping at realmenfeel.org/swag.
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Listen on Apple Podcasts.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Spotify
Listen to the podcast on Google Podcast.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to email@example.com.