Overcoming Depression and Suicidal Thoughts Episode 196, July 28, 2020
Husband, father, entrepreneur, and mindset coach, Lawrence Washington Jr, discusses his experience with mental health, optimism, loss, and faith.
“I’d rather be angry and frustrated with God than without him.” ~ Lawrence Washington Jr.
This is probably the most straight-out religious conversation I”ve had on Real Men Feel. Lawrence shares about receiving a letter from God while in college as well as the horrible pain of losing both his mom and his faith. We explore the dark heavy thoughts that grief and mourning can bring, of not just thinking you’ll never be happy, but believing you don’t deserve to be happy.
We go on to discuss the power of choice, the challenge of change, learning to trust God again, and how being vulnerable saved his life. Lawrence also shares his promise to his mother that everyone would know her name, Donna Washington.
Topics and Questions Include:
- (2:29) How are you doing right now?
- (3:38) Have you always been an optimistic and grateful person?
- (4:52) Had you been raised with religion?
- (5:39) What changed in your sophomore year that woke you up?
- (9:23) Tell me about your mom.
- (19:00) Had you experienced suicidal thoughts before this?
- (20:33) Did your creative expression help turn things around in high school?
- (21:48) What helped turn things around after losing your mom?
- (27:04) Personal development saved his life.
- (31:31) Being aware of your stories.
- (33:51) The power to choose our thoughts.
- (36:04) Did anything you say to kids when you were coaching them, come back to help you at your darkest time?
- (38:44) We were created to give love and receive love.
- (42:33) We are not our feelings and emotions.
- (48:55) Three days on a mountain top.
- (51:09) The power of vulnerability.
- (54:34) We are not made to hold things in.
- (56:00) Can you share a habit, practice, program, or book that has helped you?
- (57:45) What amazes Andy most about God.
- (58:21) What are you looking forward to?
“Love wasn’t put in your heart to stay. Love isn’t love until you start to give it away.” ~ Donna Washington
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium.
Follow Lawrence on Instagram and Facebook.
Visit his website.
Check out Release From The Trap by Donna Washington (Lawrence’s mother) and Lawrence’s book of poetry, Kill I.
Join the private Real Men Feel Facebook Group
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Show your support for Real Men Feel by shopping at realmenfeel.org/swag.
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Podcast.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to email@example.com.
Leave a Reply