What The Heck is Self-Love? Episode 161, December 10, 2019
Mid-life dating and relationship coach, speaker and author, Jonathon Aslay, joins us to discuss self-love; what it can do for us, how we might achieve it, and why so many men are resistant to it. Jonathon is the author of, “What The Heck Is Self-Love Anyway?”
“Nothing triggers someone’s lack of self-worth like the dating process.” ~ Jonathon Aslay
Many men are turned off by the word, self-love. Try replacing that with words like self-esteem, self-confidence, self-reliance, self-worth – all of these things are about nurturing ourselves. There is no better way to nurture ourselves than with love for ourselves, and that is a very masculine thing to do.
This is a wide-ranging conversation touching on awareness, victimhood, responsibility, heart-breaking moments, and grieving with love. We touch on aspects of self-love and what gets in our way to experience it. Show yourself some love and give it a listen, then take some new actions.
Topics and Questions Include:
- (1:25) What does it mean to really love yourself?
- (3:20) Why would someone want to love themselves?
- (5:20) Loving yourself doesn’t mean you are always on top of the world and feeling great.
- (7:28) Is awareness a big key, so we know when am I nurturing myself and when am I avoiding feeling something?
- (8:44) I know it was a horrible experience that got you to look more closely at self-love, can you tell us about that?
- (13:13) Do most people embark on a soul-searching journey only after something painful?
- (15:06) I’ve often heard you need to love yourself before you can love someone else, is that just selfish and egotistical?
- (16:54) The strongest thing a man can do for himself.
- (19:46) What are some signs that you don’t love yourself?
- (23:01) Why are so many men resistant to self-love?
- (24:32) Since boys are often taught not to feel, does that mean we can learn to feel? Is this a learnable skill?
- (27:22) Can you share any techniques to better understand or even create a sense of self-love?
- (35:42) Being right or wrong related to the ego.
- (37:37) What are some of the most comment complaints women have when it comes to dating men?
- (40:00) Exploring emotional unavailability in men.
- (42:30) Can you share a habit, practice, program, or book that has helped you?
- (44:08) What is one thing you wish more men knew?
- (48:26) What are you proud of?
- (50:15) What are you looking forward to?
- (53:42) Get the first two chapters of his book for free.
“Faith and trust in oneself, that is the essence of what loving yourself is.” ~ Jonathon Aslay
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium.
Learn more about Jonathon at JonathonAslay.com. Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Grab the first two chapters of What The Heck is Self-Love Anyway?
Check out the many books mentioned, The Untethered Soul, A Return to Love, The Four Agreements, What The Heck Is Self-Love Anyway?, plus everything by Wayne Dyer and Abraham-Hicks.
Join the private Real Men Feel Facebook Group
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Show your support for Real Men Feel by shopping at realmenfeel.org/swag.
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave a Reply