Talking Modern Manhood Episode 160, December 3, 2019
Cleo Stiller, award-winning journalist and author of, Modern Manhood: Conversations About The Complicated World of Being a Good Man Today, joins us to talk about…. you guessed it: Modern Manhood.
“A lot of what we were taught growing up about what it means to be a good man, or a good woman for that matter, is changing.” ~ Cleo Stiller
Cleo shares what prompted her to write this book, offers many stories from it and discusses #MeToo, the most common questions from men, the history of the workplace, dating, and equality. We all need to get comfortable being uncomfortable.
I highly recommend her book, Modern Manhood: Conversations About the Complicated World of Being a Good Man Today
Topics and Questions Include:
- (1:42) What first got you interested in writing about men and masculinity?
- (5:48) What Andy appreciated about the book, Modern Manhood.
- (7:08) What sort of flack have you gotten for being a woman writing about men?
- (9:05) Would a man be welcome at a #MeToo support event?
- (11:02) The subtitle of your book is: Conversations About The Complicated World of Being A Good Man Today — does that mean it is easier to be a “bad man?”
- (14:38) One man’s story from the work chapter.
- (18:52) A common thing I’ve heard from many men is that they no longer know how to act in the post #MeToo world. Is there a right way?
- (25:01) Resistance to change, and the man box.
- (29:56) People thinking #MeToo has gone too far.
- (31:46) Businessmen intentionally hiring fewer women due to #MeToo risks.
- (34:03) History of the workplace.
- (35:04) Having to watch everything you say.
- (39:58) The research and history that went into the book.
- (41:35) One great point you make is that neither men nor women are encouraged to ask, to check-in or verbalize when it comes to anything of an intimate nature.
- (44:56) Do guys still pay for dates?
- (47:00) What do you see as the ultimate goal of the #MeToo movement?
- (50:22) The goal of this book.
- (52:12) Has #MeToo crossed the line to become all about retribution?
- (54:40) What does gender equality look like to you?
“The things that were okay, really were never okay. This has been bubbling under the surface for women for decades.” ~ Cleo Stiller
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium.
Check out Cleo’s book, Modern Manhood: Conversations About the Complicated World of Being a Good Man Today
Join the private Real Men Feel Facebook Group
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Show your support for Real Men Feel by shopping at realmenfeel.org/swag.
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to email@example.com.