Men’s Role in Birth Episode 146, September 3, 2019
William Moore, C.P.E. is a Semi-Professional Football player, an artist, a public health professional, a doula and most importantly a man who cares about his community. As a Certified Perinatal Educator, Doula and Lactation Educator who is sensitive to expectant mother’s and father’s needs, William is an advocate for them in the doctor’s office and throughout the birth process.
“There are people who think within the box. There are people who are praised for thinking outside the box. I say why are you even in the box
to begin with?” ~ William Moore
This wide-ranging interview covers what doulas do, the importance of men being involved, the stereotypes against men being involved, the power of a good Grandma, toxic masculinity, happiness, and being weird.
Topics and Questions Include:
- (1:34) What is a doula?
- (3:09) Is a doula different from a midwife?
- (3:52) Can a doula deliver a baby?
- (4:56) Postpartum and breastfeeding support
- (7:25) Is it common for men to be doulas?
- (10:40 ) Break out of the realm of labels.
- (13:34) Why did you become a doula?
- (17:25) Stereotypes of men.
- (19:06) Infant and maternal mortality rates
- (20:30) Let’s get more men involved in the birth process
- (24:05) Reasons for the disparity in infant mortality and maternal death rates – systematic racism.
- (27:40) Are men resistant to being more involved?
- (29:24) Thoughts on toxic masculinity.
- (36:39) Will’s philosophy for life.
- (37:28) Where did your definition of masculinity come from?
- (42:40) The slow death of letting someone else define you.
- (45:24) Being weird and embracing it
- (51:16) Following your vision
- (52:39) What do you wish more men realized about the birthing process?
- (56:56) What both parents want for their kids.
- (57:44) Tell us about your podcast, Chill Time Is Will Time.
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium.
“Many people view birth work as women’s work. But taking care of your family isn’t women’s work, it is family work. It is incumbent on everybody.” ~ William Moore
Connect with William on LinkedIn.
Interested in being on Will’s podcast, email email@example.com
For info on his doula work, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Will’s podcast, Chill Time is Will Time.
Join the private Real Men Feel Facebook Group
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Show your support for Real Men Feel by shopping at realmenfeel.org/swag.
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to email@example.com.