Losing Your Father to Suicide with Zak Williams Episode 111, September 18, 2018
This week Andy Grant is joined by mental health advocate, Zak Williams, for an open talk about depression, mental health and losing his dad to suicide four years ago.
“His pathos was seeking to entertain and please. He felt when he wasn’t doing that; he was not succeeding as a person. …but he was the most successful person I knew.” ~Zak Williams
As part of National Suicide Prevention Month, Andy and Zak discuss being a survivor of suicide, the impact of losing a family member to suicide, and the masks that too many men hide behind when it comes to their mental health.
Topics Covered Include:
- Was your father’s suicide that something you were concerned about happening or was it a complete shock?
- Did you have a close relationship with your dad when you were growing up?
- At what age did you realize your father’s job and lifestyle was different than most other people?
- Much of your dad’s challenges with addiction was pretty public. How was that for you?
- The recent documentary, Robin Williams: Come Inside My Head.
- Did you define success in a different way than your dad did?
- Did his celebrity make dealing with his death more difficult?
- Zak’s challenges with depression and anxiety.
- Have those “what else could I have done thoughts” faded away?
- Tell us about BringChange2Mind.org
- What has helped you the most in dealing with depression and anxiety?
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium or give us a tip.
“I think the dynamic is changing for the better in terms of people feeling more comfortable in opening up, but it needs to be a continuous sustained effort.” ~Zak Williams
See Andy’s book: Still Here: How to Succeed in Life After Failing at Suicide.
Get help: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to email@example.com.
Help Support Real Men Feel
Digital Tip Jar