Exploring Father Wounds and Mother Wounds with Rick Belden Episode 89, April 10, 2018
This week Andy Grant and Appio Hunter are joined by author, poet, artist, and coach, Rick Belden, to discuss men and difficult relationships with their fathers (Father Wound) or mothers (Mother Wound).
“It is an iterative process. The wound and the healing. Both are in layers.” ~Rick Belden
A Father Wound or Mother Wound may be thought of as injury to the psyche of a child resulting from significant dysfunction or disruption in relationship with a parent. In some cases, it is the result of a parent’s absence or unavailability due to death, illness, adoption, or other circumstances that dramatically separate the child from the parent. But more typically, a Father Wound or Mother Wound is a complex of injuries to the child’s psyche received over many years, often as a result of the parent acting, consciously or not, out of his or her own woundedness.
Topics Covered Include:
- What first got you first with men’s work?
- What do you mean by father wound and mother wound?
- Is one more prevalent than the other?
- How do these wounds impact men?
- Do all men have these wounds?
- How did you get involved with poetry?
- Is there a particular process for healing such wounds?
- Tips on mindfulness and journaling.
- The benefits Rick has experienced from being part of men’s groups.
- The great example of a Father Wound found in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.
- We realized after the show that Ordinary People is a great movie to see a Mother Wound.
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium.
“There are not nearly enough groups for men. Our culture would be transformed if any man could easily walk into a men’s group.” ~Rick Belden
You know you’re making headway when you can see your parents as individuals, not just as your parents. They are separate individuals with flaws, goals, motivations… they are human.
So much of this work is grief work. The entry is often anger, but getting into the grief of your childhood is the deepest work.
Check out Rick’s first book of poetry: Iron Man Family Outing: Poems about Transition into a More Conscious Manhood
You can learn more about Rick’s Coaching for Men at RickBeldenCoaching.com
Show your support for Real Men Feel by shopping at realmenfeel.org/swag.
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Subscribe to the Real Men Feel podcast on iTunes.
Join our private Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/realmenfeel/
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to email@example.com.
Leave a Reply