Spare Me “The Talk” with Jo Langford Episode 83, February 27, 2018
This week Andy Grant and Appio Hunter are joined by therapist, sex educator, author, and dad, Jo Langford, to discuss talking with teenage boys about sex. The technology of today makes discussing sex with teens very different from what it was when you first heard “the talk.”
“Fear and ignorance around sexuality cause problems.” ~Jo Langford
If you have a teenage boy, there’s a 50 percent chance that he’s already sexually active, and a 33 percent chance that he’s been solicited by an online predator in the past year. How prepared is he for the risks and realities of sex?
Jo’s mission is to provide healthy social and sexual information to teens and their parents, in a multi-pronged approach consisting of live speaking events, books and a number of resources for youth, their families and other professionals around that intersection of adolescence, sexuality, and technology.
Topics Covered Include:
- Did you have a fantastic sex talk with your dad as a kid that set you on this path?
- The guys each share what their sex talks were like from their parents.
- Does technology make discussing sex with teens different today when we were kids?
- How does internet porn change what teens know when it comes to sex?
- What do parents look out for that says it’s time for a discussion?
- The positive aspects of porn.
- Jo’s journey from peer counselor to sex educator.
- Is there a common mistake parents make when it comes to talking about sex with their kids?
- The widening language around gender and sexual identity.
- The sort of calls Jo gets from panicked parents.
- What are most parents doing well?
Support Real Men Feel
Grab some goodies at the Real Men Feel swag emporium or give us a tip.
Jo has a Spare Me “The Talk” book for boys and another version for girls. His upcoming book, The Pride Guide, is the first puberty book for queer and trans kids.
Half the battle is being an accessible parent.
Gender identity and sexual identity don’t necessarily go hand in hand. Only 48% of youth identify themselves as “exclusively heterosexual.”
Check out Jo’s book, Spare Me ‘The Talk’!: A Guy’s Guide to Sex, Relationships, and Growing Up
See all of Jo Langford’s books
Learn more about Jo at BeHeroes.net
Show your support for Real Men Feel by shopping at realmenfeel.org/swag, or visit DigitalTipJar.com/realmenfeel
Like the show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Subscribe to the Real Men Feel podcast on iTunes.
Join our private Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/realmenfeel/
Watch this episode on YouTube.
Enjoy Real Men Feel on Stitcher.
Listen to the podcast on Google Play.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help Support Real Men Feel
Digital Tip Jar
Leave a Reply